Sometimes I question why I decided to come to Penn. Different things prompt such thought...today's prompt is me sitting here at the computer lab in GSE thinking about all the schoolwork I need to do this weekend, and all the rest I need to get this weekend. Regardless of why I ponder my decision, I usually end up figuring "Heck, I'm at the illustrious PENN! This is suck a blessing, whatever qualms I have I better grin and bear it!"
But today, I really want to know why I decided to come to Penn. I think I came here for a lot of different reasons. First, and most important to me, is the fact that Penn is an Ivy League school. Point blank, Penn has a GREAT reputation for producing academically competent and competitive leaders. Dropping the Penn name opens so many doors. People are excited to have a Penn grad amongst them, in their office or school or company. People believe, and rightly so, that there is a greatness associated with a Penn grad. In the Philadelphia community, Penn is known for being involved in constructive ways in the community. Penn is known, and known in a good way. I definitely wanted to be a part of that.
The second reason I came to Penn, and perhaps it is tied for first, is the fact that it is in Philly, my beautiful hometown. I spent my undergrad at a "big, urban" city in the South...and I was not happy. When my four years of college were done, I was ready to get back to a real city, a city that's moving and shaking. A city that's action and culture packed. A city with a reliable transportation system (as someone who can't drive, that is very important to me!). A city that's more than just a college town or a party spot. I wanted to spend the next era of my life in a place where there is diversity of culture and experiences. I wanted to not feel sheltered or isolated from real life. I wanted to live where I could experience real life, but also find a space for my graduate school life as well. And I wanted to be back home! Philly was that place for me. And Penn is a great school in Philly, so this was another check on Penn's checklist...
Hmmm...there are other reasons why I chose Penn, but now I must retire from this blog and do so schoolwork, so that I can stay at Penn!
Life of a PennGSE student
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
O, i liked this one alot! This one got me to thinking why i am at my school (just incase you did not kno my school is now a university, bethune-cookman university to be exact)! But the reasons I came to my school are the same reasons you wanted to go back to Philly. I wanted a change from the big city and a diverse culture. I wanted to see how African Americans from all over act in the same place and boy did i see! Everyday you see something different, but I love it! Glad you are enjoying being back in Philly and being at Penn!
Hey, now! Atlanta has culture and is not just a college/party town. Face facts, you just missed white people.
Nothing wrong with that, just be real with it! And do yo dance on it!
You never told me why you left LJ.
Post a Comment